RFC: Adding some management structure, particularly for decisions about our donation account

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Jun 9 17:24:42 EDT 2011

On donderdag 9 juni 2011, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Montag, 30. Mai 2011 schrieb Christian Stimming:
> > Derek replied:
> > > I agree completely that we need more structure in how to handle money
> > > flowing into the project.
> > >
> > > I'm still willing to maintain the paypal account, and I promise to be
> > > more responsive if we decide to stick with what we have.
> >
> > IMHO this means we can probably leave the account as-is, but start to
> > work out a new and durable decision structure for the management of the
> > gnucash donation account. I am thinking of something like a charter with
> > a similar structure as a usual non-profit organization: We should
> > appoint a board (or committee, or similarly named group of people) of
> > 2-5 people who will then have the mandate to decide and take action.
>
> Judging from the very little reaction on this message here, it seems that
> almost nobody really cares about the existence of the donation money and/or
> what is being done with it. In that case we have to continue to live with
> the unclear decision process about the donation account.
>
> In particular, if I have some idea about a potential use of the account
> money (such as starting our own bounty program), I guess I'll just discuss
> possible uses of this money privately with Derek, then announce those here
> and go ahead with the proposals unless there are strong objections from
> core developers. Does that sound reasonable? Other proposals? Comments?

I may not have yelled loud enough, but I'm for a more formal decision
structure ;)

So far 3 people spoke in favor of it (Derek, Christian and me) and one stated
no interest (John) via a private conversation.

I count the silent voices to agree with whatever gets decided, otherwise they
could have spoken up.

Do you think 3 people is too few to get a decision structure set up ?

Also, perhaps many people have no interest in helping to create a decision
structure, but don't oppose to having one.

Geert