GSoC organization application opened; I'd like to apply for GnuCash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 3 10:50:46 EST 2011

Dear developers,

the 2011 Google Summer of Code (GSoC) programme is open for
organizations to apply as mentoring organizations. We've participated
in 2007 with four students, and we've tried to apply in 2010 as well
but were not accepted.

I want to give it a try this year again. This time, I want to spend
considerable work on a good organization application, as outlined here
[1] [2]. One of the more critical issue mentioned there is to present
a good "Ideas Page" [3]. So far, we have the minor thoughts collected
on our wiki page http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2011 but I plan to
heavily modify this page so that it results in a much better
application.

I also volunteer as organization's administrator who actually
registers at google's website to submit our application. (@Derek: Can
you be the backup admin?) I will also volunteer as a mentor for at
least one student, potentially more.

What do you think? Are there people around who can consider a mentor
role for some student? I think additionally I'm going to ask some
people here directly whether they can consider acting as a mentor.

I think with our recent increase in development momentum we are now
back again in a position where suitable tasks can be identified within
gnucash. The students will need tasks that have a realistic chance to
be completed within 12 weeks, yet have enough smaller steps of success
so that the task will be fun for the student and the mentor. And
eventually to our project itself. I believe gnucash now offers such
possibilities much more than in the previous years, so I think GSoC
this year is a good program for us.

Questions? Comments?

Regards,

Christian