GSoC organization application opened; I'd like to apply for GnuCash

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Mar 4 10:33:24 EST 2011

On donderdag 3 maart 2011, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> the 2011 Google Summer of Code (GSoC) programme is open for
> organizations to apply as mentoring organizations. We've participated
> in 2007 with four students, and we've tried to apply in 2010 as well
> but were not accepted.
>
> I want to give it a try this year again. This time, I want to spend
> considerable work on a good organization application, as outlined here
> [1] [2]. One of the more critical issue mentioned there is to present
> a good "Ideas Page" [3]. So far, we have the minor thoughts collected
> on our wiki page http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/GSoC2011 but I plan to
> heavily modify this page so that it results in a much better
> application.
>
> I also volunteer as organization's administrator who actually
> registers at google's website to submit our application. (@Derek: Can
> you be the backup admin?) I will also volunteer as a mentor for at
> least one student, potentially more.
>
> What do you think? Are there people around who can consider a mentor
> role for some student? I think additionally I'm going to ask some
> people here directly whether they can consider acting as a mentor.
>
> I think with our recent increase in development momentum we are now
> back again in a position where suitable tasks can be identified within
> gnucash. The students will need tasks that have a realistic chance to
> be completed within 12 weeks, yet have enough smaller steps of success
> so that the task will be fun for the student and the mentor. And
> eventually to our project itself. I believe gnucash now offers such
> possibilities much more than in the previous years, so I think GSoC
> this year is a good program for us.
>
> Questions? Comments?

I have never participated in a GSOC event, so I have no idea how much time it
would cost me if I would take up a mentoring role. I would like to try though,
so you can write me up as a volunteering mentor. I will be less available
during the month of July, so someone may have to back me up during that month.

As for ideas, I myself am mostly focussed on the business features and would
love to see some closer integration of those in the whole of GnuCash. Perhaps
that can be more finetuned to fit into a GSOC project.

Another idea that might be worth implementing is bringing some sanity in the
windows build system. I have several thoughts on how it could get more
attractive but I'll skip that for a future mail. I'm not sure if I would want
to mentor such a project though... (I don't use Windows for my daily computer
use, so I lack a lot of knowledge on that platform).

Geert