Proposal: Branch 2.4-stable and trunk now

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Mar 7 04:53:55 EST 2011

Dear developers,

I propose to branch a 2.4-stable branch now, so that we can introduce
several pending changes on trunk without risking to loose the stable
code state we have in 2.4.3.

Pending changes for trunk are:
- Requiring guile-1.8 (i.e. throwing out guile-1.6 support)
- Requiring gtk-2.16 et al., and (as soon as we upgraded the windows
webkit binary) gtk-2.20
- Adding Andy Clayton's python module addition [1] so that python
scripts can be used inside gnucash
- Adding Andy Clayton's javascript and jqplot patches [2] so that
reports with javascript can be used
- Throwing out gtkhtml, requiring webkit

These are enough useful changes which may introduce a temporary
instability so that we should branch off the stable branch. I would
have loved to see this branch creation done in a more
branch/merge-friendly version control system, but well, this seem to
have to wait. For now we should go ahead with this branch and enable
cool new features on trunk.

Questions? Comments?

Best Regards,

Christian