Database Tables Transactions and Accounts

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 7 19:07:51 EST 2011

On Mar 7, 2011, at 2:52 PM, Matt Riley wrote:

> Hello John,
>
> Thanks again for your feedback. I'm more of a web software engineer and haven't
> looked at C in quite awhile but I looked anyway.
>
> Is there any information on accessing libgnc-engine via QOF? I searched the
> docs, wiki and archives. I realize my use case is probally beyond the scope of
> the application.
>
> I suppose in a worse case I can have my web application export the transaction
> data to a file format that GnuCash can import, assuming again that it won't
> cause problems for GnuCash.

You do it the other way, meaning that you use engine functions to access QOF. I should have mentioned in my last message that the developer documentation is at http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/. In addition to C there are also Python and Guile (Scheme) bindings that you can use.

I think it's a much better plan to have your app write to a transfer file. QIF is what we usually recommend. There is unfortunately no QIF exporter for going the other way.

Regards,
John Ralls