Interactive Javascript + Canvas (jqPlot) powered graphs

Andy Clayton q3aiml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 09:33:04 EST 2011

Hi all,

[I sent this once before, but that was during the mail server hiccup a
month or so ago. Perhaps as a result it got somewhat lost in the torrent
of mail. Either that or people aren't here just to appease me. Anyways,
I thought I would send it one last time in case anyone wants to try it
out and comment. I should have much more time next week to hopefully
clean things up further and get it closer to being ready.]

I finally had some time to sit down and clean this up a little. Given
that I am lazy I also switched from Flot to jqPlot because it supports
more of what Gnucash needs without changes or unsupported extensions.
There still is a decent amount of work to be done to reach parity with
the gog charts, but I wanted to post what I have so far if anyone would
like to try it out and comment. For now I left the old charts in for
comparison. Once things are in a bit better shape I'll make a bug and
post the latest patches.

Here is a list of at least some of the possible issues I am aware of:
* The default coloring could probably be better (plus support for when
specific colors are specified)
* The legend needs to get out of the way of the graph
* On bar graphs as more bars get packed in there seems to be too much
padding compared to bar width (really small bars with lots of whitespace)
* On any of the bar graphs over time the x-axis labels are (to me)
misleading. A bar labeled 01/01/2011, for example, actually represents
the value up to the next x position, say 01/02/2011. Perhaps labeling it
with the through date (the inclusive end date) would make more sense,
rather than the start? Then again, maybe that is just a matter of
preference. Or maybe I will avoid the issue entirely by simplifying the
labels to just year, or month and year, for the simple cases.

Anyways, feel free to give a try and let me know what could be different
or better.

Thanks,

Andy