[GSOC] Data model unit testing

Muslim Chochlov muslim.chochlov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 08:50:11 EDT 2011

Hello,

I consider applying this year for the GnuCash with the project mentioned
above. Software engineering and as a part of it unit testing is in the field
of my professional interest and I feel I could do my best in this.

So far I divided the project into four major steps:
1. Identify the packages which require documentation/unit testing.
2. Choose UT framework/approach/dir layout etc.
3. Implement tests.
4. Make sure tests run as they should.

Steps 1 and 4 are quite clear, for the step 2 however I have a few
questions. The project is coded in C and Python, do we need framework to
unit test the code for both or data model is coded only in C? Now in the SVN
under trunk/test-templates there are few examples from GLib UT framework.
Does it mean that GLib framework should be used or it's still up to
participant to choose? Also what should be the code coverage in %?

For the step 3, is there any documentation for the code or I should you the
code itself as a guide.

About my background: I'm currently doing my master in Software engineering,
in GSoC 2008 i successfully accomplished my project with MySQL.

I would appreciate any feedback,

Cheers,

Muslim Chochlov