Windows Build system fixes

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Mar 23 17:52:07 EDT 2011

On woensdag 23 maart 2011, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On woensdag 23 maart 2011, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > >
> > > Unfortunately last night's build failed, and it failed pretty quickly.
> > > If you make further changes today I recommend you fire off a build
> > > manually to check that it works.

> > > -derek
> >
> > Yes, I was already looking into it.
> >
> > The first problem was that newer mingw packages are distributed in lzma
> > compression. Our build scripts don't install lzma tools to extract these.
> > It turns out that MSys itself ships lzma starting from version 1.0.11.
> > The build server had 1.0.10. I have updated that now.
> >
> > I'm hitting a problem now while building autotools, but from the errors
> > it seems to be a problem of mingw not properly installed. I'm short on
> > time right now, but will look at it further later on.
> >
> > Geert
>
> Ok, I have added some fixes.
>
> There were two problems so far:
> 1. I ran all my local tests in an environment that had the older mingw
> installed, which I had upgraded by the build scripts by removing g++.
> However when I let the buildscripts setup a clean mingw, it turned out
> there was one component missing: the mingwrt dev package. This caused the
> libtool build to fail. I have fixed this in the build scripts. They now do
> setup a proper mingw environment, including everything necessary to build.
>
> 2. Next I had created a patch in order to make guile 1.8.8 buid properly. I
> forgot to check this one it. Done now. The build is running now. We'll see
> in a couple of hours if it is successful this time.
>
> Geert

Ok, trunk can build the Windows port again, even when it has to set up a fresh
mingw runtime and build environment. I had to fix one more bug in the scripts
used on the build server to fix the failing upload. While writing this mail, I
realize this commit (r20460) should have been marked for backporting. I
clearly still have to get into the habit...

To summarize:
The guile/gcc patches applied in trunk, require a mingw update. At the time
the 2.4 branch was created, the build scripts don't deal well with this. So I
have committed some improvements to the build scripts to solve this. This now
works fine on trunk, but for automated builds to work well for the 2.4 branch
and newer 2.4.x releases, a number of these patches should be backported to
the 2.4 branch. It concerns these commits:
http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20452
http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20454
http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20455
http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/changeset/20456