GSoC Proposal: Live news feed from financial newspapers

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun Mar 27 07:28:17 EDT 2011

Dear Ajay,

thank you for your interest in working with gnucash in the GSoC 2011 program.
It is good to hear you've been able to build it from source, and that you've
been using the program for some time already.

As for your live news feed idea: This sounds like a very good idea and I
believe this is a good scope to be successfully finished within the GSoC
timeframe.

As for the technology you can be using: You have plenty of choices available
to implement your ideas. You can use HTML and javascript inside a webkit
window, or you can use Scheme scripting program code, or you can use C code to
implement gtk widgets, or your can use C++ code to implement gtkmm widgets.
Those options are all already available. Additionally, we will have python
scripting inside gnucash available as well. Again, the choice for your feature
implementation is up to you - you can try one technology a little bit, then
try another one, then decide on the best of those and do the actual main work.

Best Regards,

Christian