r20501 - gnucash/trunk/packaging/win32 - During win32 build, if a component is already installed, print the installation path

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Mar 29 11:45:14 EDT 2011

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

> No, it didn't and probably should.

I believe it should.

> The next change I want to check in adds version number to the
> component directories so we'll have /c/soft/readline-5.0-1 instead of
> /c/soft/readline, for example.  I needed this change to just check
> that it is looking in the right place when it thinks that a dependency
> already exists.  As I've been trying to get a new webkit build going,
> I find this really helps with keeping parallel versions of
> dependencies separate.  It will also have the benefit that if a
> version of a dependency is updated in defaults.sh, it would go into a
> new directory which will force that dependency to be downloaded and/or
> built and we won't need to remember to just remove the directory.  I
> guess the bad side-effect is that obsolete versions of dependencies
> could build up.

I think there are plusses and minuses to this approach.  It would
certainly solve the problem of "we want to update a dependency but the
build server wont see it".  On the other hand it might not gracefully
handle the "updating a dependency requires a clean rebuild" issues.

There are times when it's nice to be able to use your already-built
dependencies.  Then there are times when it would be nice to be able to
use the new ones.  I guess the down side is that we're at the mercy of
the upstream provides to continue to publish their "older" versions of
our dependencies.

How often do our dependency download URLs go bad?

* goes back to pondering this one *

(FYI, I believe this change, if you make it, should NOT be back ported)