Initial Draft application for Python Scripting Engine

Rahul Gaur rahul.nbg at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 12:58:02 EDT 2011

Dear Christian,
    I've added my initial draft application for GSoC project hereby.
Please take a look and advice for corrections.

*Basic Information*

Student name:Rahul Gaur

Location: Meerut City , UP ,India,

Home Town :New Delhi ,India

 Email:rahul.nbg at gmail.com

Instant messaging contact details (Skype or similar):iamaregee/iamaregee2 on
IRC (irc.ubuntu.com)

 *Background/Programming Information:*

I've experience of building GNU cash from source via SVN on a linux system.A
few years ago,I learned C++ and Java as a part of my School curriculum.While
this is my first year in college ,Now I am pursuing Bachelors in Engineering
and my Major is in Computer Science.So I am learning C and Python here in
College.By the time GsoC 2011 starts ,I will be done with my end semester
exams and equiped with skills to work full time on coding,so I wan't to do
some good project in order to strengthen my foundations in understanding of
Sofware Systems.

 *What project in GnuCash would you like to work on?*

I would Like to work on Python reporting and Scripting engine for Gnu cash
over my summer vacations.

 *What will be the result of your project :*

Upon the successful development of the scripting engine ,it will enable
developers to write scripts for various financial reports plus will be
bringing in wider contributions to the development as python being a more
popular language and highly customizable one too.

 *How do you propose to solve the problem(s) posed in the project you'd like
to work on?*

*Project Schedule : *

While I plan to follow the description given in the idea of the
proposal.I've already familiarised my self with the working of GNU cash (v
2.4.4 SVNr20419).I took a brief idea of sample python scripts.As I've
already stated , I've my University exams from 8th to 30th of May ,so during
this period I will be in touch with the GNUCash community through
emails.During the time before exams ,I hope to :

   -

   Get to know the mentor and other community members.
   -

   Going through Devloper Docs.
   -

   Understand working of the reporting engine.
   -

   Brainstorm plans with the community.

 After I am Done with my exams , I plan to Procede as follows :

*Program time-line :*

   -

   To create a more accurate programing timetable
   -

   Initial step would be to add the code to read and process the control
   file.Then I will adapt the current codes written in C to work with python
   engine.Working on API for C and python.
   -

   Writing scripts for various financial reports.
   -

   Updating community of my progress weekly via blog updates.
   -

   Start with testing and improving throughput of the code before midterm
   evaluations (ie: july 15th ).
   -

   Start pulling together the documentation and coding.
   -

   While in testing phase , I will also finish writing documentations
   aswell.