Initial Draft application for Python Scripting Engine

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 31 05:08:37 EDT 2011

Dear Rahul,

Zitat von Rahul Gaur <rahul.nbg at gmail.com>:
>   I've made some corrections to my application.Is it better now ?what more
> should I add ..?

thanks for the additions. However, the basic problem in your
application has not received much of an improvement: The main parts of
your text are just some "generic programming project" description, but
not at all specific to gnucash. Hence, from your applications it is
not yet obvious whether you already have spent time and thinking on
how your goals can be implement *specifically* in the gnucash project.
I mean, from our point of view you can start working with gnucash
nevertheless, but the GSoC staff that takes the final decision on your
application might want to see further evidence that you've already got
to know the gnucash project specifically.

Also, the sentence "reporting engine,which primarily involves
migrating all of the current reporting scripts to python" is grossly
underestimating the time of "migrating all reports" and hence is
rather unrealistic. Instead, you should *now* decide on one or two
specific  things that you will want to migrate to python or implement
in python. User-visible things.

> Apart from this I've thinking of introducing a feature so that generated
> reports can directly be exported to some cloud service so that user have
> the access to reports even on a report system.If any thing similar to this
> is in the loop  please let me know.

Currently nobody is working on anything similar. Your idea is good.
Maybe you should focus your application more on this particular idea
and feature. I believe this will result in a better application than
discussing the abstract notion of "working on python engine in
gnucash". Incidentally, your "upload" feature (either for the data
file, or for generated reports, or both) might be implemented in
python as well, once you've added some minor missing parts to the
python module in gnucash. Hence, probably your application should
emphasize your feature idea as the main goal, and mention the python
engine only as a way to implement your main goal. I think this will
make your application better.

Best Regards,

Christian