Question Regarding Saving Custom Reports

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Thu Mar 31 05:11:47 EDT 2011

Zitat von Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>:

> On woensdag 30 maart 2011, David T. wrote:
>> It seems to me that some developer in the recent past changed the
>> underpinnings of the reports system such that they are now identified to
>> the system using a GUID, rather than the human-readable report title.
>>
>> Given that fact, is it really necessary still to require users to rename a
>> report just to save it? While I understand that it can get confusing to a
>> user if they have multiple "Transaction Report" entries in the custom
>> reports list, it seems to me that this would be a situation the user
>> should have the option of remedying (by learning to rename their reports
>> as they see fit), rather than enforcing it by the program.
>>
>> Furthermore, since custom reports are no longer placed in the menu tree, it
>> would seem to me that unique report names are even less critical.
>>
>> David
>
> These are valid point in my opinion. Unfortunately, the reporting
> stuff is not
> my area (at all), so while I agree with you I'm not very inclined to try and
> fix that. Perhaps a good suggestion for the uservoice requests ?

Agreed. David's ideas are very valid. The "custom report" choice
window could easily be extended so that not only the report name is
shown, but additional information so that different reports can be
distinguished even though the name might be identical.

However, I'm not inclined to work on this area myself as well. @David:
Create a write-up of your proposal in bugzilla or in
http://gnucash.uservoice.com/ and then hope that someone finds this
idea so exciting that they will actually implement it... sorry for
this reply. http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla#Stock_messages

Best Regards,

Christian