Budget, cash flow and scheduled transactions - roadmap?

Nick Manville manville at doctors.org.uk
Thu Mar 31 14:00:37 EDT 2011

Hi,
I would like a budgeting system that allows me to combine my scheduled transactions, budget amounts and asset balances to allow me to plan my future spending. This is for managing personal finance rather than business accounting which has its own rules and language.

The current budget does not do that for reasons that were discussed among the developers of GnuCash several years ago. In the end we got separate budget and scheduled transactions systems.

Is there any ongoing discussion of how this might be developed further now we have the two systems in the codebase?

I am not a programmer so I do not know where to start in trying to develop patches for what I would like to see but I have been around computers a lot and have dabbled with some database work so I have a reasonable notion of most of the backend concepts involved. I would like to help where I can and I have some ideas of what I think might work and how to implement it. Where do you think the most appropriate place to post my ideas would be?

Yours,
Nick