Latest invoice window edits gtk+ requirements

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Nov 11 06:00:23 EST 2011

On vrijdag 11 november 2011, John Ralls wrote:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:56 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > On donderdag 10 november 2011, Mike Evans wrote:
> >> I just compiled and ran the latest SVN and I now have no invoice windows
> >> just the status bar.  This appears to be due the gtk+ requirement being
> >> 2.24.  The current gtk+ on my, regularly yum updated, Fedora 14 is 2.22.
> >> Changing requirement in the glade file restores the page.
> >>
> >> Could Geert downgrade the requirements for gtk+? Fedora 14 isn't
> >> obsolete quite yet.

Fixed in r21556.

> > Ok, I'll downgrade the requirements. I am not strictly using anything
> > 2.24 specific. I set it because my goal is to get gnucash on the way to
> > gnome 3.0 compatibility. And the gnome migration page suggests to build
> > against the latest 2.24 as a first step.
>
> You don't have to set Glade to 2.24, just link against the 2.24 libraries.
Ok. Understood now.

> It's probably a good idea to set all of the DISABLE_DEPRECATED defines as
> well.

IMO this only makes sense after all the libglade code has been replaced with
gtkbuilder code. Otherwise we will always bail out on libglade calls. We're
not there yet though.

> The catch for trunk is that we still need to be able to build against 2.18
> as well (for RHEL 6 compatibility), so if you wind up having to make
> changes that won't, then we need to branch off 2.5 so that trunk can go to
> wherever you need.

Hmm, good point. So far there are no changes yet that require 2.24 as far as I
know. But we'll see what turns up when the DISABLE_DEPRECATED defines are
used.

Shouldn't we change configure.ac already to require 2.18 ? There is a comment
in there that this is currently still 2.16 because the windows build didn't
build with a more recent version. But the windows build is currently using
2.24 already.

Geert