Reporting system and potentially Python

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Tue Nov 15 22:24:25 EST 2011

Hi,

]

>> My preference would be to move it out of Yawar's user page onto a real
>> page and then we could link from there.  Or better yet, let's get the
>> changes into the sources themselves so we could use sometihng like
>> doxygen to generate the docs.
>
> I’d be happy to see my reference merged into the doxygen reference. What I
> was trying to do on my page was compile an API reference from the report
> developer’s point of view–maybe something of a broad target, but I felt
> that the doxygen reference kind of drops you in at the deep end and lets
> you figure everything out for yourself. Maybe I should see if I can point
> towards specific parts of the doxygen API docs for specific goals, like if
> you want to get an account balance, look at this, that and that function

> .
>
> Another thing I’ve been wondering: do all the C APIs documented in doxygen
> have a one-to-one correspondence with Scheme functions, and if so what
> exactly is the mapping for the function names? Is it something like:
>
> xaccSomethingDoSomething ( C ) -> xaccSomethingDoSomething ( Scheme )
> gnc_account_find_split ( C ) -> gnc-account-find-split ( Scheme )

With a few exceptions yes, this is the case.

> Can I assume the Account structure (
> http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/HEAD/structAccount.html ) is also
> transparently wrapped in Scheme?

This depends on your definition of 'wrapped.'  In general, C structures
are mapped to Scheme as opaque pointer objects, which requires using
getters/setters from guile to manipulate the object.  For example, you
can't just do Account->desc in scheme, you need to use
(xaccAccountGetDescription acc).

> Appreciate any pointers/advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Yawar

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745