Increasing trunk libgtk dependency to 2.22.0?

Geert Janssens info at kobaltwit.be
Sat Apr 14 12:09:58 EDT 2012

On 13-04-12 22:32, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Freitag, 13. April 2012, 21:48:37 schrieb Christian Stimming:
>> Currently, SVN trunk requires libgtk-2.18.1. However, recently (in r22086
>> from patches in bug#672161) some new code was added that uses functions
>> that were introduced in gtk-2.22, e.g. gtk_assistant_commit.
>>
>> Can we increase our required libgtk to 2.22? Current Ubuntu 11.10 comes with
>> 2.24.6; other up-to-date distros probably with similar versions. What do
>> you think?
> Here's the most recent discussion for this issue:
> http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2011-November/032931.html
> and thread.
>
> In that discussion and still today, the issue is that if we want SVN trunk to
> be compilable on RHEL6, we are stuck with at most gtk-2.18.9 [1], which in
> turn was released in March 2010. This would mean no major GUI code upgrades
> are possible with SVN trunk. A newer RHEL major release cannot be expected
> before summer this year, so maybe even later.
>
> However, given that there isn't any current motion in gnucash to turn SVN
> trunk into a new stable series (2.5 and 2.6), I'd say we should drop RHEL6
> support of trunk and instead move to newer gtk versions here. This would at
> least enable all the preparation work for gtk3/gnome3 migration work, because,
> as discussed in the original thread, the gtk3 migration suggests to first move
> to gtk-2.24. I'd propose to do exactly this: Moving to gtk-2.24.
>
> Regards,
>
> Christian
>

> [1] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redhat
I have no problem with updating the versions and dropping RHEL6 support
for GnuCash 2.6 for all the reasons you mention.

It doesn't look like we will be releasing anytime soon and personally I
believe it will save us time if we can do the gtk3 preparations in one
release instead of split over two (once targeting 2.18 and afterwards
targeting 2.24). Even though RHEL6 still ships with 2.18, IMO that is
not a good gtk version to target. Gtk 2.24 is nicely between the old 2.x
and the new 3.x series. In short, I'm ok with going for Gtk 2.24 and
dropping RHEL6 support in 2.6.

Geert