Git on Windows

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Apr 28 13:01:44 EDT 2012

On Apr 28, 2012, at 9:35 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just committed a couple of patches that should allow the Windows build to use a git repository as its source. I started from Christian's original work and tweaked it a bit to avoid the sed segfault we had before.
>
> Parameters to set in custom.sh are:
> REPOS_TYPE=git
> (default value is svn)
> GIT_REV=trunk (or whatever branch/tag/commit you like)
> UPDATES_SOURCES=yes
>
> So far the build runs fine. What hasn't been updated yet are the build scripts used for the automatic nightly builds.
>
> And also, I'm not sure what the code should do to "update the source". In svn this was as simple as "svn up", because there's a central repository and the working copy is checked out from there. But what would be the equivalent in git ? git pull ? Our custom git-update ? git rebase ?

Cool.

If you're just pulling, then git pull will do. In the near term, if you also want to commit from that repo, you need to git svn init it and use git-update. Once we get all of the external scripts sorted out and convert the canonical repository to git, then git pull --rebase will be the right thing to do always.

Since git-update works fine even if you don't use git svn, I suggest that you write the script to retrieve it from github (helps to make sure that one always has the latest version) and use it to update gnucash-git. It will be simple enough to change to pure git when we're ready.

Regards,
John Ralls