GnucashMobile for Android second alpha release

Ngewi Fet ngewif at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 03:11:56 EDT 2012

Hi Graham,
as always, thanks for the great feedback.
I've made a few comments below

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 3:58 AM, Graham Menhennitt <graham at menhennitt.com.au
> wrote:

> On 27/07/2012 20:14, Ngewi Fet wrote:
>
>> The second alpha release of Gnucash just went live.
>>
>>  Hi Ngewi,
>
> I finally got around to installing this. It looks great - the homescreen
> widgets are a real bonus.
>
> A few (very) minor points:
> - As somebody else noted on your blog, I had to uninstall the previous
> version first

I have gotten around to syncing my signing keys yet, so sorry about that.
I hope you didn't lose any data (I think there was a disclaimer somewhere :)

> - For 99% of people, the currency will only ever be their own currency. It
> would be good if you could hide the currency per account and by default.

True, but there also people like me who live in another country and use
English. In that case, my locale says the currency should be USD, meanwhile
where am living is actually EUR. GnucashMobile preselects the currency of
your locale. If it is ok, then just go ahead and ignore the field. The rest
who need it will appreciate it.

- On the settings screen, the current setting of the default currency
> should be shown (so you don't have to click on Default Currency and look
> for the green dot)

I agree. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

> - On the Export OFX pop-up (on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 running Android 3.2),
> the buttons get half chopped off the bottom of the box.

Dialogs are a bit funny on most devices pre-4.0. I'm looking into ways of
fixing that. Can't promise anything right now though.

> - On the same pop-up, the button labels are chopped off to "Canc" and
> "Expo".

Ditto.

> - The program doesn't appear in the Android Task Manager or Running
> Programs list (the Android overlapping rectangles button)

This is strange. Maybe if it isn't in the running programs list that may be
because it isn't running? GnucashMobile does not run in the background. The
moment you kill the top activity, the whole application is killed. I will
check again nonethelesss.

> - When entering a transaction, it would be nice to have a Done or Save
> button on the keyboard so you don't have to go up to the Save in the top
> right corner.

The issue with that is that there are many fields, and the keyboard 'Next'
takes you to the next input. Changing that behaviour will break expectation
for many on the Android platform. I have not checked what the button
becomes when you reach the last input field.

- When I imported the OFX file into GnuCash on my desktop, the expenses
> came out as credits and vice-versa. This is very possibly something that
> I've done wrong.

Possibly. Gnucash uses a double entry system. Maybe it's related.

> - The imported transactions had crazy dates - today's date become
> 14-Dec-4163. Again, maybe my fault.

Will check again.