Git Migration: where to host the master repository

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Aug 12 16:48:32 EDT 2012

Am Samstag, 11. August 2012, 14:36:18 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:
> > On 11-08-12 12:48, Frank H. Ellenberger wrote:
> >> Hoi,

> >> Linked by http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git. ;-)
> >>
> >> Frank
> >
> > Thanks :)
>
> Any chance we could rename this "Git Migration" instead of "Github
> Migration"?  I don't think we will ever full migrate fully to github.  I
> just think it's a bad idea to let go of master.

Actually this point is one where IMHO there is not a consensus about it. In my
opinion, we can very well migrate the master repository to github (or any
other git repo provider). I don't consider the risk of code corruption any
larger on a git repository other than one on gnucash.org, as git's checksum
prevents unnoticed code changes by design anyway. (That's different in SVN,
though, where the integrity of the server repository is much more vital than
for git.)

I remember you have always voiced very clearly you prefer to host the master
repository on a server that's controlled by one of the gnucash team. But
actually I think differently about this point and would prefer to host the
master repository somewhere that requires the least effort for us. IMHO that
does not have to be a server under our control.

Regards,

Christian