First git based automated build

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Aug 13 06:23:22 EDT 2012

On 13-08-12 00:47, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Geert, nice work. Glad we have that working.  One step closer.
The only thing that still has to happen here is to activate git based
builds in daily_build.bat. Is it ok if I do so (only for trunk obviously) ?
> John, I see only two reasonable options, github or code.gnucash.org. I think both sf and gnome are non starters. Github is an option because some devs are already using it. I don't know if it can provide all the hooks we want, such as port knockers to kick off updates of web servers and such.
I found two plugins on Github [1] I consider useful in this respect:
- Mail: this plugin sends a mail to one or more e-mail addresses of
choice on each push to the repo. This could possibly replace the commit
hooks that trigger mails to gnucash-changes and gnucash-patches. The
mail format is different from the mails we currently send, but
sufficient in my personal opinion. I'll attach an example so others can
have a look as well.
- WebHook URLs: a generic plugin that will hit a chosen URL with a POST
request. The post payload is json coded information on the commits that
were pushed. We could set this up to trigger a service on
code.gnucash.org, which can then decide to do whatever, including
sending e-mails on mailing lists, kicking off a webserver update,... The
public IP's used by GitHub for this Web trigger are published, so the
risk of anyone spoofing the trigger is limited (no I'm not a security
expert).

All the other plugins are written to integrate with loads of other
public services, both social or dev related. I don't think they will be
of much help for our current config.

Geert

[1] https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/admin/hooks