Gnucash for Android beta1 release

David Carlson carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 21 14:20:42 EDT 2012

On 8/21/2012 3:51 AM, Ngewi Fet wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>
>>  On 8/20/2012 3:34 PM, Ngewi Fet wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>> >From what you describe, you don't need a tutorial :). You did everything
>> right.
>> I could always export successfully with Gmail. I also just configured a
>> yahoo account and tested again and I can get the file ok. So there must be
>> something going wrong with the sending in your email client.
>> The file is sent with plain xml mime type, so there should be no problems
>> there. Try with another mail client and see if you get the same problem.
>>
>>  Cheers,
>> Ngewi
>>
>>  On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:49 PM, David Carlson <carlson.dl at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/20/2012 8:41 AM, Ngewi Fet wrote:
>>> (snip)
>>> Hi Ngewi,
>>>
>>> I think that I need a tutorial.  I installed the beta to my Samsung
>>> Rugby II Android phone with no problem, accepted the default income and
>>> expense accounts, entered a test transaction with no problem, but when I
>>> tried to export the file had a problem.
>>>
>>> I chose the sharefile option which led me to use one of my email
>>> accounts to send an email.  I chose to send to another of my accounts.
>>> That worked, but the email that arrived at my computer did not appear to
>>> have an attachment, either in my yahoo webmail page or in my local
>>> Thunderbird after it was downloaded.  From Thunderbird, at least, I was
>>> able to view the raw message.  I found that there was an attachment in
>>> base64 with the following header(s):
>>>
>>> --00504502e1a9d1e41804c7b3e07e

>>> --00504502e1a9d1e41804c7b3e07e--
>>> --00504502e1a9d1e41e04c7b3e081
>>>
>>> Can you tell me why the attachment is not accessible in my email program?
>>>
>>> David C

>>  Sorry for the delay, I needed to re-install my email program to fix it
>> to send from my yahoo account.
>>
>> That worked, and the ofx file appears nicely in Thunderbird without
>> needing to look at the raw text or save the attachment, although I probably
>> do need to save it to import into GnuCash.
>>
>> However, right after that success I repeated sending it via gmail directly
>> from the Android ap and the attachment is still invisible and not
>> identified by any icon in att/yahoo webmail or in Thunderbird.  I will next
>> try sending a file saved to my SD card and see what happens.
>>
> GnucashMobile first saves the file to the SD card and then triggers an
> Intent to send a mail with the attachment. By the time email is sent, the
> OFX file exists completely on disk.
> So basically at that point, it is pure Android mechanics which are at work.
> It sounds to me like more of a yahoo issue, or maybe the file is not being
> completely sent somehow.
>
> One thing that comes to mind is that Yahoo! might be choking on the mime
> type. GnucashMobile sends the attachment as multipart/xml.
> [...]

Hi,

I think that I have some useful information to add.

First, my phone is a Samsung Rugby smart with Android 2.3.6 OS.

Secondly, it seems that the GMail ap on this phone is only able to take
attachments from the"Gallery", whatever that is, but it seems to be
pictures only and does not include the Gnucash folder on the SD card.
This probably explains why GnuCash files sent through the Android Gmail
ap appear to be mal-formed.

Thirdly, If I use the standard Android email ap, everything works fine.
Thus, I would generally recommend only using the standard Android email ap.

Fourthly, I have not activated nor investigated the myATT ap that my
provider wants me to use.

Penultimately, Yahoo webmail still seems to be unable to show raw text
of any message.

Lastly, Thunderbird sometimes hides attachments, but it has an add-on
called Show All Body Parts (I kid you not!) that is supposed to make
mal-formed attachments visible.  However, it still fails on GnuCash
messages sent through the Gmail ap by this phone.  Gmail webmail is able
to identify the attachment sent by the Android Gmail ap and decode the
base64 and save the OFX file correctly from the web page.  I have
compared the raw text of the message from the Android Gmail ap in both
the Gmail Webmail and the Thunderbird raw text and found that everything
after the header was exactly identical.

David C