Resuming. Re: Is there a step-by-step, "How to setup a MySQL database for use with GnuCash"?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Sat Aug 25 17:28:42 EDT 2012

Art,

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I don't really do Windows..  It's quite possible
you have a MySQL issue on Windows, or it could be GnuCash, but more likely
it's MySQL.  unfortunately I can't help you there.

Seriously, there's NO reason to use MySQL on Windows.  None.  If you had
MySQL running on a network server (I'd recommend Linux!) then *MAYBE* it
might make sense to connect from a Windows client, but I see absolutely no
reason for you to run GnuCash + MySQL together on a Windows machine.

If you want SQL on Windows you could use SQLite.

But for data integrity I'd still recommend you use XML.

Granted, this is the devel list, so patches to fix the problem (once you
figure it out) are always welcome!

-derek

On Sat, August 25, 2012 5:20 pm, Art wrote:
> I restored my 7/7/12 image with GnuCash v2.4.10 and was able to save the
> default file GnuCash tomysql://root@127.0.0.1/test25.
>
> I did a File -> Quit and noticed it should "Unsaved ..." in the panel
> title as GnuCash exited.
>
> I restarted GnuCash and it had test25 as the default. The splash screen
> icon shows "GnuCash (Not Responding)". 5-10 minutes later, Windows brings
> up the "not responding" Debug/Close pop-up and I close it.
>
> I restart GnuCash and cancel test25. The panel says "Unsaved GnuCash". I
> do File -> Open -> "GnuCash" and do saveas test25a and it says error or
> bad or corrupted data. I try test25b and get the same error. I reload the
> file GnuCash and try to saveas mysql://root@localhost/test25c which also
> fails with the same error message.
>
> I see the lock file, GnuCash.LCK and it goes away when I exit GnuCash. I
> also noticed MySQL had crashed or the service had stopped running because
> the MySQL commandline console would close when I tried to login to check
> status.
> The Windows services panel says, "Service status: Started", so I do
> "Stop", then 10 seconds later, "Start". But I can't login.
> I exit GnuCash, now I can login (as root).
> The status is,
>
> --------------
> F:\usr\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin\mysql.exe  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.24, for
> Win64
>  (x86)
>
> Connection id:          1
> Current database:
> Current user:           root at localhost
> SSL:                    Not in use
> Using delimiter:        ;
> Server version:         5.5.24 MySQL Community Server (GPL)
> Protocol version:       10
> Connection:             localhost via TCP/IP
> Server characterset:    latin1
> Db     characterset:    latin1
> Client characterset:    latin1
> Conn.  characterset:    latin1
> TCP port:               3306
> Uptime:                 1 min 52 sec
>
> Threads: 1  Questions: 4  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 33  Flush tables: 1
> Open tabl
> es: 26  Queries per second avg: 0.035
> --------------
> Now I get "Error", "Unspecified fatal error encountered, aborting."
> When I dismiss that pop-up, I get the "Microft Visual C++ Runtime
> Library", "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an
> unusual way."
> This time I don't believe it's my fault per se. I probably do need to
> reboot, but my Windows 7 is up-to-date with all it's updates, except I may
> have needed to do one more reboot since that last updates were applied.
>
> I had taken extensive notes on this issue,but wanted to provide fresh
> information right now.
>

> Thank you,
>
> Art

>  From: Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com>

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745