Resuming. Re: Is there a step-by-step, "How to setup a MySQL database for use with GnuCash"?

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Aug 26 03:41:52 EDT 2012

On 25 August 2012 22:20, Art <pinaart at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I see the lock file, GnuCash.LCK and it goes away when I exit GnuCash. I
> also noticed MySQL had crashed or the service had stopped running because
> the MySQL commandline console would close when I tried to login to check
> status.
> The Windows services panel says, "Service status: Started", so I do "Stop",
> then 10 seconds later, "Start". But I can't login.
> I exit GnuCash, now I can login (as root).
> The status is,
> --------------
> F:\usr\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.5\bin\mysql.exe  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.24, for
> Win64
>  (x86)
>
> Connection id:          1
> Current database:
> Current user:           root at localhost
> SSL:                    Not in use
> Using delimiter:        ;
> Server version:         5.5.24 MySQL Community Server (GPL)
> Protocol version:       10
> Connection:             localhost via TCP/IP
> Server characterset:    latin1
> Db     characterset:    latin1
> Client characterset:    latin1
> Conn.  characterset:    latin1
> TCP port:               3306
> Uptime:                 1 min 52 sec
>
> Threads: 1  Questions: 4  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 33  Flush tables: 1  Open
> tabl
> es: 26  Queries per second avg: 0.035
> --------------
> Now I get "Error", "Unspecified fatal error encountered, aborting."
> When I dismiss that pop-up, I get the "Microft Visual C++ Runtime Library",
> "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way."
> This time I don't believe it's my fault per se. I probably do need to
> reboot, but my Windows 7 is up-to-date with all it's updates, except I may
> have needed to do one more reboot since that last updates were applied.

It is not clear, are those errors from mysql without running gnucash?
If you get errors using mysql after rebooting and without ever
starting gnucash (possibly with another app that uses mysql) then that
would suggest it is your mysql server that is the problem.  In which
case that needs addressing first.

Colin