Resuming. Re: Is there a step-by-step, "How to setup a MySQL database for use with GnuCash"?

Art pinaart at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 13:39:58 EDT 2012

Hi Colin,

Sorry for the ambiguity. I was not familiar enough with MySQL to know the difference.
The OS would just manifest hangs and ask me if I wanted to terminate GnuCash.

The only other app I had to test MySQL was a web app, but that ran fine in the phpMyAdmin-like environment.

It turned out to be an OS and MySQL server issue, which John initially suggested, as well.

It seems to me that several issues were involved. I reset my server performance to give priority to background system operations (Windows 7) vs. apps and replaced the standalone MySQL from Oracle with a bundle, wamp which included the same version of MySQL. It is being managed with phpMyAdmin (I installed a similar configuration on my Ubuntu Linux server which I set up as a replication slave).

John had also suggested that a MySQL back-end on a single machine was sub-optimal, however, my mission was to learn MySQL system administration and programming because we have a lot of SQL going around at work and this has helped me out immensely.

Thank you,
Art