jhbuild error on Mac OSX Lion

Reuben Cummings reubano at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 09:55:23 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 5:45 PM, John Ralls
<jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2012, at 12:59 AM, reubano wrote:
>
>> I can't get jhbuild to work for me. I followed the instructions at
>> http://live.gnome.org/GTK%2B/OSX/Building#Procedure but using Xcode 4.2. I
>> made a new user and ran
>>
>>    sh gtk-osx-build-setup.sh
>>
>> However, when I ran
>>
>>    jhbuild build python
>>
>> I got the following:
>>
>> *** Configuring python *** [1/1]
>> ./configure --prefix /Users/admin/gnucash-stable --libdir
>> '/Users/admin/gnucash-stable/lib' --enable-shared
>> checking for --enable-universalsdk... no
>> checking for --with-universal-archs... 32-bit
>> checking MACHDEP... darwin
>> checking EXTRAPLATDIR... $(PLATMACDIRS)
>> checking machine type as reported by uname -m... x86_64
>> checking for --without-gcc... no
>> checking for gcc... /usr/bin/gcc-4.2
>> checking whether the C compiler works... no
>> configure: error: in `/Users/admin/gtk/source/Python-2.7.2':
>> configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
>> See `config.log' for more details
>> *** Error during phase configure of python: ########## Error running
>> ./configure --prefix /Users/admin/gnucash-stable --libdir
>> '/Users/admin/gnucash-stable/lib' --enable-shared   *** [1/1]
>>
>>  [1] Rerun phase configure
>>  [2] Ignore error and continue to build
>>  [3] Give up on module
>>  [4] Start shell
>>  [5] Reload configuration
>>  [6] Go to phase "wipe directory and start over"
>>  [7] Go to phase "clean"
>>  [8] Go to phase "distclean"
>> choice:
>>
>> And the same errors occurred when I tried to run
>>
>>    jhbuild bootstrap
>>
>> I also tried copying
>> http://github.com/jralls/gnucash-on-osx/raw/master/.jhbuildrc-custom into
>> ~/.jhbuildrc-custom to see if it made a difference and it did not help.
>>

> What does config.log say is the error from the C compiler?

Where do I find the log file?

> If you tried to build Python before running jhbuild bootstrap, you didn't follow the instructions very carefully...

That is what the directions said to do.

Procedure

Download gtk-osx-setup.sh to your home directory and run it:

$ sh gtk-osx-build-setup.sh

It will install jhbuild in ~/Source and create ~/.local/bin/jhbuild.
It will also install ~/.jhbuildrc and ~/.jhbuildrc-custom and will
copy the current gtk-osx modules into ~/Source/jhbuild/modulesets.

jhbuild is installed in ~/.local/bin. You must either add that to your
path, alias jhbuild, or call jhbuild with that path, e.g.

$ ~/.local/bin/jhbuild shell

    Note: jhbuild requires Python 2.5 to unpack tar files, but Tiger
provides Python 2.3. We provide a Python 2.5 module, which you can
build like so:

     $ jhbuild build python

    You will also need to make sure that the shell uses this version
of Python to run jhbuild, for instance by defining an alias:

     $ alias jhbuild="PATH=gtk-prefix/bin:$PATH jhbuild"

    Obviously you should substitute the actual path of your gtk
installation for gtk-prefix. If you add it to your .bashrc or
.bash_profile you won't need to worry about it.

Now do

$ jhbuild bootstrap
$ jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap
$ jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-core