Building gnucash on Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sun Jan 29 15:24:21 EST 2012

Op vrijdag 27 januari 2012 11:05:38 schreef Colin Law:
> On 27 January 2012 08:33, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> There are two libgnome.so in play here. It's a bit clearer in OSX,
> >> where loadable modules are called foo.so and shared libraries are
> >> called foo.dylib. It turns out that there's lib/libgnome.dylib and
> >> lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so. *The latter depends on the former.*
> >>
> >> It's likely that it's lib/libgnome.so (which would be libgnome.dylib
> >> in OSX) which is installed by libgnomeui.
> >> lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so is obviously installed by libglade, but
> >> the libglade package maintainer might have messed up the second-order
> >> dependencies for *that* libgnome.so. It's his job to make it work, so
> >> you should be talking to him about the problem. He's certain to know
> >> more about the subtleties of it than is anyone here.>
> > Strangely /usr/lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so *is* installled by
> > libgnomeui-0 $ dpkg -L libgnomeui-0
> > /.
> > /usr
> > /usr/share
> > /usr/share/doc
> > /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0
> > /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/README
> > /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/AUTHORS
> > /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/copyright
> > /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/NEWS.gz
> > /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/changelog.Debian.gz
> > /usr/lib
> > /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0.2400.5
> > /usr/lib/libglade
> > /usr/lib/libglade/2.0
> > /usr/lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so
> > /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0
> >
> > but I am sure you are correct in that it is something here or in a
> > related package that is wrong.  Given that the whole area is now
> > deprecated and gnucash has moved on (on trunk) I think we have all
> > wasted enough time on this so I will just note the issue in the build
> > instructions as I suggested above.
>
> I have added build instructions to the wiki [1].
>
> I had a look at the packaged version of gnucash in the Ubuntu 12.04
> repository and realised that this suffers from the same problem
> (though the symptom is not exactly the same hence I did not realise
> this previously) so I have submitted a bug to launchpad [2] in the
> hope that the package manager there will be able to redirect the bug
> to the appropriate package.  I presume that the package manager is not
> here?
>
> [1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
> [2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/922514
>
> Colin
Note that your distribution could work around this by patching the environment
file that is generated during build. This file ends up in
/etc/gnucash/environment and contains a set of parameters that will be added
to the environment when GnuCash is running. By adding an entry for
LD_LIBRARY_PATH in there, GnuCash should pick it up before any druid is
started.
This is obviously only one way to make sure GnuCash gets the proper
environment variable set. You may want to use another mechanism if that suits
Ubuntu better.

Regards,

Geert