Building gnucash on Ubuntu 12.04 Alpha

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 27 06:05:38 EST 2012

On 27 January 2012 08:33, Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 27 January 2012 06:07, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:04 PM, Colin Law wrote:
>>> Unless anyone has any good ideas I am going to leave it at that for
>>> the moment, I will add the notes for building on 12.04 to
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building including the requirement to
>>> setup LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the 2.4 branch.  Then I will keep an eye on
>>> the situation and see if the issues disappears with an upgrade to
>>> something else.
>>
>> There are two libgnome.so in play here. It's a bit clearer in OSX, where loadable modules are called foo.so and shared libraries are called foo.dylib. It turns out that there's lib/libgnome.dylib and lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so. *The latter depends on the former.*
>>
>> It's likely that it's lib/libgnome.so (which would be libgnome.dylib in OSX) which is installed by libgnomeui. lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so is obviously installed by libglade, but the libglade package maintainer might have messed up the second-order dependencies for *that* libgnome.so. It's his job to make it work, so you should be talking to him about the problem. He's certain to know more about the subtleties of it than is anyone here.
>
> Strangely /usr/lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so *is* installled by libgnomeui-0
> $ dpkg -L libgnomeui-0
> /.
> /usr
> /usr/share
> /usr/share/doc
> /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0
> /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/README
> /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/AUTHORS
> /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/copyright
> /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/NEWS.gz
> /usr/share/doc/libgnomeui-0/changelog.Debian.gz
> /usr/lib
> /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0.2400.5
> /usr/lib/libglade
> /usr/lib/libglade/2.0
> /usr/lib/libglade/2.0/libgnome.so
> /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so.0
>
> but I am sure you are correct in that it is something here or in a
> related package that is wrong.  Given that the whole area is now
> deprecated and gnucash has moved on (on trunk) I think we have all
> wasted enough time on this so I will just note the issue in the build
> instructions as I suggested above.

I have added build instructions to the wiki [1].

I had a look at the packaged version of gnucash in the Ubuntu 12.04
repository and realised that this suffers from the same problem
(though the symptom is not exactly the same hence I did not realise
this previously) so I have submitted a bug to launchpad [2] in the
hope that the package manager there will be able to redirect the bug
to the appropriate package.  I presume that the package manager is not
here?

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building
[2] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/922514

Colin