Git on Windows

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 1 11:59:19 EDT 2012

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> Longer term are we drifting towards git and away from svn?  My reason
>> for asking is that I am partway through a re-write of the Windows
>> build instructions and I'm finding myself inclined towards git.
>
> Yes, that's a remarkably accurate way of describing our approach to git.

I would still like to see us host the "master" read-write git repo on
code.gnucash.org, but obviously we can sync it to github.  It would be
silly (IMHO) for the windows builder to pull from github when it could
pull from "local" sources.

I recommend we take the same approach as the MIT Kerberos Team for
transitioning from SVN to GIT.  I'm working with them to try to acquire
their transition scripts.  The scripts normalize the log messages in the
transition, or so I've been told. This means, however, that the current
'github' (and any existing git repos) would become obsolete, but I don't
see that as being a problem in general.