Git on Windows

Wm Tarr wm.tarr at gmail.com
Wed May 2 11:02:02 EDT 2012

On 2012-05-01 16:59, Derek Atkins wrote:
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:
>>> Longer term are we drifting towards git and away from svn?  My reason
>>> for asking is that I am partway through a re-write of the Windows
>>> build instructions and I'm finding myself inclined towards git.
>> Yes, that's a remarkably accurate way of describing our approach to git.
> I would still like to see us host the "master" read-write git repo on
> code.gnucash.org, but obviously we can sync it to github.  It would be
> silly (IMHO) for the windows builder to pull from github when it could
> pull from "local" sources.
Is you concern that people might be pulling a transitory or unstable
build or similar if they use git?
> I recommend we take the same approach as the MIT Kerberos Team for
> transitioning from SVN to GIT.  I'm working with them to try to acquire
> their transition scripts.  The scripts normalize the log messages in the
> transition, or so I've been told. This means, however, that the current
> 'github' (and any existing git repos) would become obsolete, but I don't
> see that as being a problem in general.
I'm in "get the build working under Win" class rather than "is one code
source better than another at the moment"

Having said that, following the instructions given for a Win32 build I'm
going for git, not svn.

--
Wm