Question about Platform Support

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat May 12 07:21:32 EDT 2012

On May 12, 2012, at 1:56 AM, Liz wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2012 17:50:59 -0400
> John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>

>> On May 11, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Jacquelyn Sykes wrote:
>>
>>> I looked all over your web site and this is the only e-mail address
>>> I found.
>>>
>>> I've been using your program for both Linux and Windows operating
>>> systems and really like it.
>>>
>>> I recently bought an Android 4.0 tablet. Do you have any plans to
>>> develope an Android version of GnuCash? If yes, when do you think
>>> it might be ready.
>>>
>>> Unfortuneately, I don't have any programming skills to help with it.
>>>
>>> Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
>>>

>> You should have looked a little harder: You want
>> gnucash-user at gnucash.org.
>>
>> No, Gnucash itself works only on Linux, Microsoft Windows, and Mac
>> OSX. A student is working on a companion program for Android as a
>> Google Summer of Code project. It won't implement Gnucash but will
>> rather serve to collect transactions for later import into Gnucash.
>> You can have a look at his proposal at
>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BGRBPlT7Iq-_UmncmLO9vSsnNrGj2g7Xjo1qazDggWg/edit
>>
>> Regards,
>> John Ralls
>>

> I let this one through to gnucash-devel, partly because of the
> statement that this was the address found on the web page, and partly
> because the question did relate to a version in development only.
> The question wasn't suited to my routine note directing people to the
> FAQ and then gnucash-user.
>
> Could I ask the poster....
> Could we make gnucash-user more obvious than gnucash-devel on the web
> page?
>
> Anything else that would help you see the user mailing list as the
> place to which to write?

I dunno. Starting on the main page, there's a block on the left side that says "Support" in big, friendly letters. Underneath that one finds "mailing lists" (after Documentation, FAQ, and Wiki), which points to the Mailing Lists wiki page [1]. That in turn has a heading "Support" under which one finds gnucash-user and its multi-lingual friends. After that is Development, with a description of the list followed by a link.

Perhaps instead we should have a support page in the wiki that explains our support resources, including the user mailing list, but doesn't mention the dev list. We'd shrink the support box on the main web page to just the word Support, which would be a link to the wiki page.

Regards,
John Ralls