Running unit tests under valgrind

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon May 21 16:30:11 EDT 2012

On May 21, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Phil Longstaff wrote:

> I already found one memory leak and one uninitialized variable when running the libqof/qof unit tests under valgrind.  Can we set up all unit tests to run with valgrind automatically?

I don't think we want to impose the performance hit for doing that by default: Unit tests need to run quickly so that they're used after every change. A 20X slowdown would mean that nobody would use them.

What's more, ISTM leaks in unit tests aren't a big deal anyway. Unit test programs are small and exit almost immediately. A leak will do no harm at all. (Some of the "make check" tests are another matter entirely.)

As for uninitialized variables, the compiler will find those if you build with -Wall -Werror. No need to take Valgrind's performance hit for that.

Regards,
John Ralls