Backport of docs patch

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Sat Nov 24 04:49:41 EST 2012

That's a good question and the answer depends on a couple of factors.

1. How long will it take until we release 2.6 ? A recent estimate was
March 2013, but that was admittedly fairly optimistic. It will very
likely take longer.
2. How much of the documentation updates are relevant/useful for 2.4 ?
Probably most of them, as people report (documentation) bugs and
enhancements against the current stable release.
3. Even when we release 2.6, a lot of users will still continue to use
2.4 for quite some time. Consider RHEL 6 and derivative users, which
can't easily install GnuCash 2.6 due to its runtime requirements. Those
people will benefit from updated documentation as well.

For GnuCash itself, I'm pretty sure there will be at least one more 2.4
based release. There are quite a few fixes on the stable branch still.
Not all are user visible, but some are real bugfixes and translation
updates. And it's possible that during beta testing of 2.6, we discover
some backward compatibility issues which need a fix in 2.4 and hence
warrant a release. It has happened in past releases.

So based on this, I would plan at least one more documentation release
as well and consider backporting of patches still useful.

Unless something urgent pops up, I would plan both releases somewhere
close to the official 2.6 release.

Obviously this is only my opinion, others could disagree.

Geert