Cron <git-svn at code> $HOME/git-svn-sync

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 20 11:44:14 EDT 2013

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> On Aug 19, 2013, at 10:22 AM, "Derek Atkins" <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, August 19, 2013 1:16 pm, John Ralls wrote:
>>>
>>> Not quite what I meant. Try `cat gnucash*/HEAD`. They should all be "ref:
>>> refs/heads/trunk". Note that gnucash-htdocs isn't svn any more and that
>>> the two emails you posted indicated the problem existed in both gnucash
>>> and gnucash-docs.
>>
>> [root at code repositories]# cat gnucash*/HEAD
>> ref: refs/heads/master
>> ref: refs/heads/master
>> ref: refs/heads/master
>>
>> So it looks like they all look like they point to master.  This all
>> happened back in January:
>>
>> [root at code repositories]# ls -l gnucash*/HEAD
>> -rw------- 1 git gitolite3 23 Jan 22  2013 gnucash-docs.git/HEAD
>> -rw------- 1 git gitolite3 23 Jan 22  2013 gnucash.git/HEAD
>> -rw------- 1 git gitolite3 23 Jan 22  2013 gnucash-htdocs.git/HEAD
>>
>> Only one repo has a refs/heads/master:
>>
>> [root at code repositories]# ls -l gnucash*/refs/heads/master
>> -rw------- 1 git gitolite3 41 Aug  5 16:18
>> gnucash-htdocs.git/refs/heads/master
>>
>> I don't know if the other repos had them ever, but perhaps we're barking
>> up the wrong tree?
>>

> Nope, we're in the right place. The error message is complaining about
> HEAD pointing to a non-existant ref.
>
> Gnucash-htdocs should be OK; refs/heads/trunk should just be a pointer
> to refs/heads/master for compatibility with people using old local
> repos with branch pointers to trunk instead of master.
>
> In the each of the other two, run `git symbolic-ref HEAD
> refs/heads/trunk` and the bad default revision errors should go away.

I guess I don't understand why this is just now failing after 6 months?
(No, I haven't run these commands, yet).  Those commands will
effectively just change the HEAD file, right?  But those files are from
January, and haven't changed.  So... what DID change recently that might
be causing this issue now where it has never been there before?