Cron <git-svn at code> $HOME/git-svn-sync

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 27 11:32:44 EDT 2013

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>>> I suspect that until the 15th the master branch existed but wasn't an alias.
>>
>> How could that have happened?
>
> How would it have gotten created? Git init does that, just like svn
> creates a trunk. How did it get deleted? Somebody deleted it thinking
> that it was confusing to have both "master" and "trunk".
>>
>>> You could restore that configuration with `git symbolic-ref --delete
>>> refs/heads/master; git branch master`,
>>> or you could get rid of master and set HEAD to trunk: `git
>>> symbolic-ref --delete refs/heads/master; git symbolic-ref HEAD
>>> refs/heads/trunk`.
>>
>> Considering the current state of affairs, do you think I should do this?
>

> Well, the current state of affairs doesn't seem to be doing any harm
> except raising your blood pressure, but we don't want you to have to
> take statins. ;-) So do the latter one.

That didn't work:

-sh-4.2$ git symbolic-ref --delete refs/heads/master; git symbolic-ref HEAD refs/heads/trunk
error: unknown option `delete'
usage: git symbolic-ref [options] name [ref]

    -q, --quiet           suppress error message for non-symbolic (detached) refs
    -m <reason>           reason of the update