Error when running test suite

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 5 13:18:35 EST 2013

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

> It's done by the old home-grown test code at the subdirectory level;
> it returns non-zero if there are failures so that make will abort.
> That's not supported by gtester, which just stops when it has a failure.
>
> More sophisticated test runners won't abort at all, but will collect
> and display the number of passes and fails for the whole project along
> with a log indicating failures. I don't know of any like that for
> GLib's test framework, but I haven't looked. There's a huge variety of
> test runners out there for CppUnit, which is by far the most popular
> C/C++ unit testing framework. Boost test is another framework I'm
> considering, largely because it would save a dependency.
>
> Since you have some views on what we need for a test environment,
> perhaps you could add a "future" section to the Testing wiki page
> summarizing what you'd like to see.

I don't have strong views...  I'm really not a QA person.  But I think
it's nice to be able to differentiate between failures that are due to
broken environments versus failures that are due to broken code.
Granted, sometimes it is hard to differentiate between them, however in
this case it is easy.