Notification mails for git repos - resend

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Feb 7 12:51:21 EST 2013

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

>>> Of note still is that the mail is sent by GIT SVN Migration user
>>> (git-svn). This is because the mail generation is triggered by the
>>> the svn-git push, which is currently always performed by the user
>>> account git-svn. With the scripts as they are now, the sending user
>>> will be set to the one actually pushing once svn is out of the
>>> loop. So if I push directly to a repo in gitolite, the mail will
>>> appear to come from me. I can't work around this in the current
>>> situation.
[snip]

>> I don't have a problem with the email being from the committer. All
>> of our mailing lists work that way.
>
> I have no problem with that either. My note was not really clear on
> the issue I had: the svn based mails are sent from the real
> committer's id (if you commit the mail will be from jralls, if I
> commit it will be from gjanssens and so on). My intention was/is to
> copy this behaviour for the mails sent from git. This however doesn't
> work out currently because all commits to git are done by the git-svn
> user (on behalf of the real committer). So all git mails will appear
> to come from git-svn. I mentioned this because it is different from
> the svn behaviour.
>
> Either way, this is only a transient issue: once svn is out of the
> loop the real committers will be seen in the mail's From field. So I
> don't intend to change anything in that area anymore.

The way I see it, there's no need to turn on git mail handling for a
particular repository until we turn off svn for that repository.  So in
the end the lists will never receive email from git-svn, because I feel
gitolite shouldn't send it out until we're doing commits directly.

I like that mail is sent using the correct from address.  Did you test
that that works correctly?