Gnucash 2.5/6

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.idps.co.uk
Fri Feb 8 05:48:25 EST 2013

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:13:01 +0100
Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> On 07-02-13 19:32, John Ralls wrote:
> > Geert mentioned in the Notification Emails thread that he'd like to
> > get 2.6 released in less than a year, and Christian was pushing to
> > do so this time *last* year. On the principle that "Release is a
> > misnomer. Software is never released, it escapes." [1], it's
> > probably time to release 2.5.0 so that we can at least start down
> > that road. Shall we say feature freeze now, string freeze in July,
> > 2.6 release 1 November?
> >
> > Or is anyone actively working on features that should go in? What
> > became of the rewrite of the register to GtkTreeView? Failing that,
> > has anyone taken a shot at rewriting it with Cairo instead of
> > libgnome? Note that I'm not proposing a Gtk3 migration for 2.6:
> > We're doing that at Gramps, and MSWin is proving to be troublesome.
> > In fact, it appears that no one is supporting Gtk3-MSWin at the
> > moment.
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls
> >
> > [1] I don't know where that originated. My wife brought it with her
> > from DEC, where it was apparently a truism.
> I like to see a 2.5.0 fairly soon as well. All features I had planned
> are basically done. They still need a bit of polishing, but are fully
> functional.
>
> The GtkTreeView based register currently has basic functionality, but
> I haven't seen additional improvements in a while. To be honest, I
> haven't gotten around to test it more thoroughly. Perhaps Robert
> Fewell can chime in here.
>
> I also recently pinged Phil on switching to GSettings. He said he was
> going to take that up. I have no additional details, though it would
> make a nice addition for 2.6 as it would allow us to drop gconf on
> Windows and OS X. If we want this for 2.6, it will probably need to
> be a minor first implementation, of the
> replace-the-current-gconf-code-as-is kind. Not a complete overhaul of
> our preferences system. I have no idea what plans Phil has exactly,
> so I'll leave it up to him to give more details of what he's up to
> and if he considers it realistic to have something for 2.5/2.6.
>
> Last item is on our Feature Schedule [1]: "Reversed sort order by
> date for transaction", a feature Mike Evans has been working on. As
> far as I can see it's mostly done. I reviewed his patch and gave my
> feedback. I don't know what kept Mike from completing it. Even as is,
> the patch is usable and useful already.

Re ^: This currently doesn't save the reverse sort setting between runs,
and I really didn't like the empty_split being at the bottom when
reverse sorting.  It is functional for people wanting to compare their
on-screen, reverse-sorted bank accounts though.  I just ran out of
time, enthusiasm, money... I'll commit it as is but subsequent commits
mean that the patch is obsolete and I'll have to revisit the code again.

I also marked Bug 682732 as a blocker because it simply doesn't work
for me. I think we either revert to the old CSV importer or fix the new
version.  Perhaps others could test it and update the bug.

Mike Evans