GSettings again

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Feb 24 15:20:37 EST 2013

Am Sonntag, 24. Februar 2013, 11:08:14 schrieb Geert Janssens:
> Other than these, I don't see any issues that would prevent this from
> being implemented rather sooner than later.

Very good. If GSettings is gtk's replacement for GConf, we should use it. I
would not recommend starting our own wrapper or replacement of such a
preference function. I would also not recommend going for ini files because in
that case we have to deal with locking and multi-app access issues on our own
as well, which are always painful to deal with.

> So why do I bring all this up ? Mainly to discuss timing. We more or
> less aimed around this weekend to release our first 2.5 series
> development snapshot. I don't think I can finish the GSettings work this
> weekend. So we have three options:
>
> 1. postpone 2.5.0 a little more
> 2. release 2.5.0 without GSettings and include it in 2.5.1 (which means
> an exception on the feature freeze)

Both are fine for me.

> 3. don't do GSettings at all in the 2.5/2.6 cycle (not my preference at all)

Not my preference, too.

Regards,

Christian