Someone is attempting to sell GnuCash.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 3 09:48:15 EST 2013

On Jan 2, 2013, at 11:35 AM, Geoff Hilton <geoffhilton at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is unrelated to server & e-mail outages or translation problems,
> but I thought it would be good for you folks to be made aware of these
> people who are attempting to sell GnuCash (which is obviously illegal
> given the license).
>
> Here's the link:
> http://www.bestshareware.net/software/gnucash-financial-software.htm

Well, no, selling GPL-licensed software isn't prohibited by the license, provided that the price reflects reasonable distribution costs. At $500, he's rather exceeding that. Since Gnucash is readily available for free, this is more a consumer fraud issue.

Here's the whois contact information:

   Registrant:
   Marker Seven
   9288 Beach Road
   Silverwater Via
   MORISSET, New South Wales 9988
   Australia

   Administrative Contact:
      Seven, Marker  bestshareware at ymail.com
      9288 Beach Road
      Silverwater Via
      MORISSET, New South Wales 9988
      Australia
      002498331988      Fax -- 002498331988

   Technical Contact:
      Seven, Marker  bestshareware at ymail.com
      9288 Beach Road
      Silverwater Via
      MORISSET, New South Wales 9988
      Australia
      002498331988      Fax -- 002498331988

Perhaps someone in Australia will take it up with whatever consumer-protection agency exists there.

Regards,
John Ralls