Backport policy regarding new strings ?

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 15:57:22 EST 2013

Hi Christian,

On 2013-01-20 14:55, Christian Stimming wrote:
> [...]
> It's up to you (or anyone who wants to commit). We don't have any agreement on
> this right now.
>
> However, I would suggest not to add a new string in the 2.4.x branch. Most
> probably, there will be no translator activity between now any another 2.4.x
> release. This means the new string will show up untranslated. I think this
> should be avoided, unless there are really strong reasons (for having an
> untranslated string show up, rather than no new string and/or a string with
> minor errors.)
>
> In the case of the new tip-of-the-day, I think there is not a strong reason to
> have it in the 2.4 branch. Just add it to trunk and it will be in the next
> release and translation series.
>
> Please feel free to add this suggestion into the wiki page... I currently
> don't easily see how I can explain this there. Thanks!

Thanks, I've added an explanation that should roughly cover our caution
against adding strings
(http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/index.php?title=String_Freeze&action=historysubmit&diff=9347&oldid=7259).

Geert, let's go ahead with Christian's suggestion to commit the patch to
trunk but not to 2.4

Regards,

Yawar