Backport policy regarding new strings ?

Christian Stimming christian at cstimming.de
Sun Jan 20 14:55:08 EST 2013

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2013, 09:47:38 schrieb Yawar Amin:
> Hi,
>
> On 2013-01-19 04:12, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Yawar has got a patch ready to commit to both trunk and 2.4 that adds
> > a new tip of the day entry.
> >
> > Somewhere I seem to have picked up that no new translatable strings
> > should be introduced in the stable branch unless strictly necessary.
> >
> > Is my memory correct or what is the exact backport policy on new
> > strings ?
>
> I haven't seen anything about a new string freeze in recent times,
> either in the wiki[1] or in the archives.[2]
>
> Can anyone shed some light on the current status?

It's up to you (or anyone who wants to commit). We don't have any agreement on
this right now.

However, I would suggest not to add a new string in the 2.4.x branch. Most
probably, there will be no translator activity between now any another 2.4.x
release. This means the new string will show up untranslated. I think this
should be avoided, unless there are really strong reasons (for having an
untranslated string show up, rather than no new string and/or a string with
minor errors.)

In the case of the new tip-of-the-day, I think there is not a strong reason to
have it in the 2.4 branch. Just add it to trunk and it will be in the next
release and translation series.

Please feel free to add this suggestion into the wiki page... I currently
don't easily see how I can explain this there. Thanks!

Regards,

Christian