Issue running git-svn-mirror script on code

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 10:16:01 EST 2013

Hi folks,

On 2013-01-22, at 9:51, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2013, at 5:30 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>>> [...]
>>
>> Maybe..  Here's the bigger issue, if I found issues/bugs in John's
>> svn->git conversion, what do we do?  (and yes, I found a problem in the
>> conversion)
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Personally, I feel that it's important to have the history "correct",
>> even if it means resetting and invalidating the existing repos.
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, this is a good opportunity to fix the history. We can simply delete and regenerate the Github repos. No problem, I had to do it a couple of times when I did the original conversion. Everyone will then have to re-clone and reattach any private branches. A PITA, but a one-time one.
> [...]

Let me play the devil's advocate here. The GitHub repos are Good Enough™ now because they work--and they have the benefit of being already published and in use (e.g. by me :-). We can always leave the SVN repo up as a read-only archive if people want to see the absolutely correct version of history. In fact as I understand it we're doing that anyway?

So about what I said before: just tar & gzip up John's local git svn repos, unpack them and set up on your server. Should work.

Regards,

Yawar