Issue running git-svn-mirror script on code

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 22 11:45:52 EST 2013

Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> writes:

>         Personally, I feel that it's important to have the history "correct",
>
>         even if it means resetting and invalidating the existing repos.
>
>     [...]
>
>     Yes, this is a good opportunity to fix the history. We can simply delete
>     and regenerate the Github repos. No problem, I had to do it a couple of
>     times when I did the original conversion. Everyone will then have to
>     re-clone and reattach any private branches. A PITA, but a one-time one.
>     [...]
>
> Let me play the devil's advocate here. The GitHub repos are Good Enough™ now
> because they work--and they have the benefit of being already published and in
> use (e.g. by me :-). We can always leave the SVN repo up as a read-only
> archive if people want to see the absolutely correct version of history. In
> fact as I understand it we're doing that anyway?

The problem as I see it is that the git history does not equal the svn
history, and someone years down the road isn't going to know to look at
svn for the "correct" committer history from "pre-2013".  Moreover,
scripts that look purely at git commits for statistics will get stuff
wrong, and again, years from now, someone might email the wrong person
asking about a patch.

> So about what I said before: just tar & gzip up John's local git svn repos,
> unpack them and set up on your server. Should work.

That is an option; it may or may not work.  But is it what we *should*
do?  Yes, what we have out there "works", but I think part of the plan
that was proposed a while ago was that we would "test" git.  I think in
some ways the test has been successful, but just like the cvs->svn
changeover the repo was re-built multiple times before svn became
official.  Similarly, I think we need to go again and rebuild git before
it becomes official.  I.e., we've tested the previous change-over
process and found that it is wrong, so let's redo it and correct it
before we set in stone.