Issue running git-svn-mirror script on code

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:21:27 EST 2013

Hi Geert,

On 2013-01-22 12:25, Geert Janssens wrote:
> [...]
>
> Just out of curiosity, what's the size of your private history to
> convert ?

The only significant work I have is my fork on GitHub
(yawaramin/gnucash-docs). Other than that, a few throwaway learning
experiments....
> Regarding svn, it is not *my* intention to keep it up read-only in the
> long term. The plan for now is to keep [...]
>
> But regardless, I'm pretty sure svn will disappear at some point. Just
> look at history: originally GnuCash
> [...]
>
> All this applies to the current svn to git migration as well.
>
> So at some point we would have to fix git's history anyway because the
> original svn history would disappear.
>
> I'd rather do that now since the number of clones is still limited.
> When git becomes the main repo, I expect many more clones to exist (as
> decentralization is a very fundamental concept in git) and hence we'll
> have to ask many more people to reclone.

All very good arguments. I guess I just wanted to see where everyone was
mentally.

Derek, svn2git is a recommended tool that uses git-svn to do the
conversion for you automatically. You just feed it an authors file
(which John has, I guess), tell it to split out the git repos from the
overarching svn repo, and let it do the work of sorting out the tags and
branches.

Regards,

Yawar