Notification mails for git repos

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Jan 30 09:25:35 EST 2013

Hi,

I have been working on a script that would allow the git repos to send
notification mails whenever changes are pushed. This is the equivalent
of the automated notification mails that get sent to gnucash-patches and
gnucash-changes whenever a change is committed to svn.

Since git's behaviour doesn't map 1 on 1 to svn's, I have started from
an example script that is distributed together with git. Attached you
will find two example mails generated by the new script

These were generated in a repo  called "testing", on branch "master"
after I had pushed two commits to the git repo. It's worth noting
already that the script will only send one mail even though it processes
two commits. The script sends one mail per push and per branch. So if
one push affects 3 branches, it will send 3 mails. Well, actually 3 sets
of 2 mails.

The first mail contains a summary of the commit logs (similar to what is
currently sent to gnucash-changes), the second one also contains the
commit diffs (similar to what is currently sent to gnucash-patches).

Personally I think the introduction in the mails is way to verbose. I'm
open to suggestions to improve this.

Please give your feedback, thanks.

Geert