Notification mails for git repos

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Jan 30 11:13:54 EST 2013

Here is a first practical limitation of the new script: the old scripts
had some logic built in that would add an AUDIT tag in front of the mail
subject if the commit message had a line containing solely "BP".

This gets more complicated with the new scripts. One mail can hold the
commit messages of multiple commits. What to do if only some of these
commits are supposed to be backported and have BP in their commit message ?

Add AUDIT as soon as one commit in the push asks for backporting ?

Alternatively I played with the idea to just drop the whole BP trickery.
Instead we could use a backport branch in git. Each dev that commits
something to trunk/master that should also be backported, could
cherry-pick this commit to the backport branch. Since this would trigger
a mail notification that the backport branch was updated, this also
serves as a heads-up, just like the AUDIT tag would have. This
alternative may not be possible as long as we are bound to svn. Svn is
pretty poor in merging, while git's cherry-pick is very easy. Then
again, as the backporting is currently mostly done by devs that already
work from git anyway, it may work now already.

Yet another option would be to send mails per commit. That would mean
though we'd have to start from scratch for our mail script and I'm not
sure I know enough of git internals to be able to deal with all commit
types properly. I prefer not to go this route if possible.

Any thoughts, bright ideas, suggestions ?

Geert

P.S. Now is perhaps also a good time to re-evaluate our mail sending
habits. Do we really still need two different mails ? I know one is only
a summary while the other hold the complete diff, but do we want to
generate both types or is one sufficient ? What are the use cases and
are they still valid ?