Notification mails for git repos

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:54:43 EST 2013

Hi,

On 2013-01-30 22:44, John Ralls wrote:
> [...]
> 2.4 was branched off of 2.3, not trunk. And it was done 4 years and 4500 changes ago. If the bit of code that you're working on happens not to have changed in those 4 years (there's plenty that hasn't) it makes no difference whether you base your change on r18000 or r22737. If it *has* changed in either branch, the only thing you accomplish by working with r18000 is that your changeset might not apply to *either* branch.

Agreed, this _could_ happen. But we don't know for sure. There are several factors here. How old is the common ancestor? Did the bug exist at that point or was it introduced later? Is it a large fix or a small one? Were the lines that we plan to modify in r18000 changed after that commit?

I guess daggy fixes are more of a personal preference than a panacea :-)