Notification mails for git repos

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 11:52:50 EST 2013

Hi John,

On 2013-01-31, at 11:15, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

>> [...]
> I think that you guys have a misunderstanding about how merging works. Try merging 2.4 back into trunk.
> When I did just now, 4 files merged successfully, the rest have conflicts. One might be able to do better by playing with the merge options. I'm not going to spend the time.
>
> Merging a commit doesn't just look at the files touched by that particular commit, it looks at every difference between the trees of the source commit and the target (i.e., the current branch).
>
> Cherry-pick exists for a reason.

I think we have to look at this from the other end: 2.4 is not merging cleanly into trunk precisely _because_ of all the cherry-picking/backporting that's been going on.

If you create a new git branch, e.g. 2.6, from trunk, and don't allow any backported patches on it, I'd say you'd have a much better chance of a clean merge.

Regards,

Yawar