Notification mails for git repos

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Jan 31 12:26:13 EST 2013

On Jan 31, 2013, at 8:52 AM, Yawar Amin <yawar.amin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On 2013-01-31, at 11:15, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
>>> [...]
>>>
>> I think that you guys have a misunderstanding about how merging works. Try merging 2.4 back into trunk.
>> When I did just now, 4 files merged successfully, the rest have conflicts. One might be able to do better by playing with the merge options. I'm not going to spend the time.
>>
>> Merging a commit doesn't just look at the files touched by that particular commit, it looks at every difference between the trees of the source commit and the target (i.e., the current branch).
>>
>> Cherry-pick exists for a reason.
>
> I think we have to look at this from the other end: 2.4 is not merging cleanly into trunk precisely _because_ of all the cherry-picking/backporting that's been going on.
>
> If you create a new git branch, e.g. 2.6, from trunk, and don't allow any backported patches on it, I'd say you'd have a much better chance of a clean merge.

If you create a new git branch from trunk and don't make any changes (remember, backports are the only allowed changes on a release branch), then of course it will merge cleanly: It won't have any changes, so the merge will be a no-op.

Geert corrected me about when 2.4 was branched, so we can easily demonstrate this using 2.4.3:
$ athena:/Users/john/gnucash> git merge 2.4.3
Already up-to-date!

Kinda misses the point about having a stable branch, though.

Regards,
John Ralls